Friendship is Magic

Climb the mountains

One for the College Bound

Amidst orientation days and summer vacations, I think of all the freshly graduated seniors who are anticipating the start of college. I think of the people like me, who took some time off before going to college, and were pretty insecure about it. In January of 2017 I wrote a letter to "freshman Lex," I told her what she would need to  know to get through the semesters that followed. Today I share it with you.

This was the day of my orientation!


Dear Summer-before-college-Lex,

I'm going to level with you. Freshman year is going to be rough, but I need you to remember a few things.

1. Remember what Sister Sami told you everyday of the mission, "I love you, I trust you, All in!" Trust the important people in your life. Trust yourself. Don't hold back.

2. You are not going to feel like you belong here. So do the things that you know will turn Cache Valley into your home. Find your places, spend time in nature, eat all of the Chick-fil-a.

3. It is okay to ask for help. You will not be able to accomplish all that you need to, let alone all you want to without the support of others. Do not let your pride hold you back. 

4. Do not work too much. When you get stressed, you always ignore the bad things and focus on the things that you can do. This doesn't seem like a bad thing, but you'll never adjust or grow if you always do what comes easy to you.

5. You are going to be okay.

6. You can be friends with people who are younger than you. Give them a chance.

7. Don't waste time with guys who have no interest getting to know who you are and what you're about.

8. Love fearlessly.

9. Prioritize better and try not to let how you feel in the moment effect those priorities.

10. Writing often (even letters like this one) will help.

11. Call mom, even though it will make you miss her even more.

And seriously lex, I love you. I want you to be happy.  I hope that this helps.
You can do this. I promise I love you even when it feels like no one else does.

love ,
future lex

p.s. Go Aggies!


It is so crazy to think that I graduated high school four years ago. It is also crazy that I High-School-Musical-style jumped in those heels on those stairs. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

| Designed by Colorlib